Transformation of Mossman pool in the works
- Port Douglas could get new kids waterpark
THE Douglas Shire Council could soon transform the Mossman pool and caravan park into a multi-purpose sporting precinct under a new plan.
A new health and wellbeing centre, heated pool and spectator seating have been drawn up in the draft concept plan, along with an indoor therapy pool, tennis court and children’s outdoor jumping pillow.
Community consultation for the final master plan opens on August 20 and will close on September 30.
“This will be a fantastic opportunity to make a really big splash,” she said.
“Council is really keen to redevelop this site into flash multi-purpose recreational precinct, not only for Douglas Shire residents, but for visitors travelling to the region.”
“Council will be engaging with a variety of sectors ranging from the medical industry and aged care stakeholders to schools and sporting groups.”
Council said in a statement this morning the upgrades to the Mossman pool’s drainage, starting blocks and timing equipment would bring the facility up to regional competition standards.
They will be staffing displays at the Saturday and Sunday market’s in Mossman and Port Douglas along with various other locations.
“We are committed to providing lifestyle-boosting projects that are influenced and owned by the Douglas Shire community,” she said.
“Community engagement is critical and Council is going to make sure everyone has more than enough opportunity to have a say.”
“This master plan will lay the foundations for an undeniable case when we advocate for staged state and federal government funding down the track.”
Council say all information will be available on their website and Have Your Say page in the coming weeks.
KEY DRAFT FEATURES FOR CONSULTATION
- Augmentation of the pool infrastructure to bring it in line with Regional competition pool standards, including drainage, starting blocks, timing equipment, etc
- Installation of new spectator seating
- New pool shade incorporating lighting to enable night time use
- Shaded dedicated learn to swim pool
- Upgraded kiosk, change room, gymnasium and residence building
- Upgraded ablutions block in the Caravan Park
- Construction of a full size tennis court
- Shaded playground and games area
- Camp kitchen and BBQ area (with tables and seating)
- Additional permanent cabins provided in the Caravan Park
- New Health and Wellbeing Centre adjacent to the pool entry, including indoor therapy
pool and spa, treatment/consultation rooms and meeting room
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.