Drowning death at Green Island second in two months


Victoria Stone-Meadows


Email Victoria
Like undecided Liked Like disabled
Dislike Dislike undecided Dislike disabled
Last updated:
TRAGEDY: A second life in two months lost to the waters of Green Island. Image: Supplied.
Like undecided Liked Like disabled
Dislike undecided Disliked Dislike disabled


Cairns based reef tours business Great Adventures, owned by the Quicksilver group, have confirmed the boy who drowned at Green Island this afternoon was a passenger on one of their tours. 

Megan Bell, media and business events manager for the Quicksilver Group, expressed condolences to the family and confirmed the business would work with investigators to determine how the boy lost his life.

"Great Adventures is one of several companies that travel to Green Island," Ms Bell said.

"Green Island is a public beach and a young Japanese student was retrieved from the SLSQ lifeguard patrolled area but unfortunately was not able to be revived.

"As he was a passenger on our Great Adventures cruise we will be assisting authorities with their enquires.

"Our thoughts are with everyone that has been effected at this very sad time."


A 17-year-old international exchange student has drowned off the coast of Green Island just after midday today.

Queensland Ambulance confirmed a helicopter was dispatched to the island at about 12.30pm where the boy was pulled unconscious from the water.

Lifesavers and paramedics attempted resuscitation but it was determined a trip to hospital was not warranted. 

This is the second death in the waters of Green Island in as many months.

Surf Life Saving Club North Queensland regional manager Rob Davidson said the incident was tragic for everyone on the island this afternoon.

“It’s a really unfortunate incident at Green Island this afternoon where a young male was pulled unconscious from the water and tragically passed away,” he said.

“We believe they were snorkelling at the time.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time and with the lifeguards involved in the attempted resuscitation.

“The lifeguards will be receiving peer support to help them through the process.”

The cause of the drowning this afternoon remains unknown.

In September, a 56-year-old Indian man died after he had been swimming in an unpatrolled area and outside of the lifesavers’ flags

In a statement, Surf Life Saving Queensland confirmed a full investigation into this afternoon's death will be launched.

"The safety of beachgoers is our first and foremost priority as an organisation and, with that in mind, SLSQ will be conducting an extensive review into this incident and any contributing factors.

"We will also be working closely with all other relevant authorities including the QPS, QAS, and Queensland Coroner."




Like undecided Liked Like disabled
Dislike undecided Disliked Dislike disabled

Join the conversation

Thumb up or thumb down on the subject we've covered OR

place a comment below.

* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.