Daintree ferry returns to water after ‘gruelling’ five days


Mark Murray


Email Mark
Like undecided Liked Like disabled
Dislike Dislike undecided Dislike disabled
Last updated:
The ferry returned to the Daintree River yesterday with normal operations resuming this morning. IMAGE: Supplied.
Like undecided Liked Like disabled
Dislike undecided Disliked Dislike disabled

DOUGLAS Shire Mayor Julia Leu has praised the ‘gruelling’ effort to get the Daintree ferry back in the water inside five-days.

The ferry returned to the Daintree River yesterday after a controversial inspection conducted by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. It resumed normal operations at 6am this morning.

“This was a gruelling five days and workers battled through the elements of tropical Far North Queensland to get the job done,” Mayor Leu said. 

- Sparks fly over Daintree bridge debate
Daintree traders up in arms over ferry shutdown

“Every single one of those workers should give themselves a pat on the back – it was a hard slog and tremendous effort.”

Mayor Leu praised the ferry contractors and businesses that completed the works, which included pulling the vehicle vessel onto dry land for the first time in 12 years. She also thanked residents and businesses north of the river for their ‘patience and flexibility’ during the process.

“This was a huge effort from everyone,” Cr Leu said. 

“From emergency services that stationed officers across the river, to local contractors who supplied support services such as the barge, passenger ferry, traffic control and security.

“It is really heart-warming to see the community band together.”

A free shuttle bus for locating and retrieving vehicles is operating this morning.

Thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!

* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory or abusive material will not be published.