VIDEO | Helicopter rescues four men from channel marker



Last updated:
Images and video courtesy of Queensland Police

Dramatic vision has emerged of four people being recused by helicopter from a channel marker in the Torres Strait today. 

Police say their vessel had capsized off North West Reef locally referred to as Reef 1 approximately seven nautical miles from Thursday Island.

At about 3.00pm yesterday, three men aged 51, 38 and 21 and a 16-year-old boy left on a yellow five-metre vessel from Seisia Wharf in Cape York on route to their home on Moa Island.

At about 11.00pm police were notified that the four occupants of the vessel had not arrived at their destination and had not been heard since they departed.

A coordinated land and sea search and rescue operation began overnight with the assistance of the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, involving a fixed wing aircraft and vessel.

At about 7.00am, all four were located on a channel marker by Thursday Island Water Police on board the G.J Olive, approximately 900 metres from the capsized vessel.

Due to the sea conditions a QG Air rescue helicopter was called to winch the four off the channel marker.

All four were recovered safely and transported to Thursday Island Hospital for assessment.

It is believed that the vessel required to be refuelled just after 5:30pm and during the process the vessel flipped over.

Fortunately, it was low tide and they were able to walk across the reef to the channel marker.

Police thanked the local community and other agencies that offered assistance during the search and rescue.

Watch the men being rescued here:

Join the conversation

Give a thumb up or thumb down on the subject we've covered OR

Place a comment below.

* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.