ON THE AGENDA | Wangetti Bike Trail Hub and more
DOUGLAS SHIRE COUNCIL
The much-anticipated Wangetti Trail returns to Council Chambers on Tuesday when Councillors will consider providing “in principle” support for the establishment of a Wangetti Trail Hub on the corner of Quaid Road and the Captain Cook Highway.
The Hub could contain a range of land uses such as a visitor/interpretation facility/Tour desk; a shop; arts display/studio and associated sales of the goods; and a café’/restaurant, among other uses.
The 76km Wangetti Trail is a proposed iconic mountain bike and hiking trail in the coastal ranges between Palm Cove and Port Douglas.
The proposed trail showcases the beauty of the Wet Tropics and the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage areas.
The project is intended to be undertaken in two stages with the works on the Mowbray North portion to commence in the 2019 calendar year with the balance of the trail to be completed separately once further funding is secured.
An economic study has shown that the trail has the potential to be a major economic stimulant to Far North Queensland. An estimated 28,000 mountain bikers and walkers will use the trail annually, generating an additional estimated direct input into the community of $10.4 million per annum.
The capital cost of providing the trail is estimated to be $21 million and 74 additional jobs will be created.
DOUGLAS SHIRE COUNCIL ORDINARY MEETING AGENDA
TUESDAY, 19 FEBRUARY 2019 10:00AM
OPEN MEETING ITEMS
- Amendments to the Planning Act 2016, the Planning and Environment Court Act 2016 and the Planning Regulation 2017
- Material change of use (impact assessment) - tourist park (15 campsites to accommodate a maximum of 60 persons)
- Minor change application (building work assessable against planning scheme)
- Wangetti Trail hub
- Financial report for the period ended 31 January 2019
- Water and wastewater quarterly report for the period ending December 2018
- Date, time and place of ordinary council meetings
CLOSED MEETING ITEMS
- Prejudicial matter s275(1)(h) local government regulation 2012 - proposal to amend the Mirage Port Douglas scheme of integrated resort development.
- Contractual matter s275 (1) (e) local government regulations 2012 - contract for Uninet (stinger net).
- Prejudicial matter s275(1)(h) local government regulation 2012 - Daintree River ferry contract 2021 - expression of interest
Join the conversation
Thumb up or thumb down on the subject we've covered OR
place a comment below.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.