NAIDOC Week 2019 celebrations across the Douglas Shire
The Mossman NAIDOC Group will hold a series of events recognising and celebrating the Indigenous communities of the region.
NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The theme for the 2019 NAIDOC Week celebrations is VOICE. TREATY. TRUTH. which coincides with the UN’s United Nations International Year of Indigenous Languages.
The events kick off tomorrow at the Port Douglas sports complex with a presentation of AFL and Rugby balls with Indigenous designs.
Flowing all through the week, there will be events and activities for people of all ages.
Douglas Shire Mayor Julia Leu said the celebrations are a great opportunity for everyone to engage with and learn about Indigenous communities.
“We are so lucky to have such a rich culture in our region and it is important everyone takes time to appreciate their valuable contribution,” she said.
“This is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to learn about our local indigenous culture, celebrate their achievements and acknowledge the past. We all need to work together for a shared future, which is central to this year’s theme of “Voice.Treaty.Truth”.
“It is fitting that this year’s theme is also centred around language after Mossman State School was this year recognised with two awards, including a Premier’s Award, at the Queensland Reconciliation Awards for their Kuku Yalanji Language program.”
The full list of events is as follows:
- Saturday 13 July – PD Sports Complex – 11am-3pm - Presentation of AFL & Rugby Union balls featuring Indigenous designs to each club
- Sunday 14 July – NAIDOC Church Service – 5-7pm - Mossman Gorge Community Church
- Monday 15 July – Flag Raising Ceremony – Douglas Shire Council Mossman Admin Building – 10am – Guest speaker: Sam Bacco. Music by the Briscoe Sisters.
- Tuesday 16 July – Baby Show, Goodstart Early Learning, Johnston Road, Mossman – 10am-1pm
- Tuesday 16 July – Elders Lunch, Mount Kooyong Nursing Home – 11am
- Wednesday 17 July – Rainforest Markets & Entertainment – Mossman Gorge Gateway Centre – All Day from 10am – Markets, Indigenous dancers, music
- Thursday 18 July – BBQ and Movie Night ‘Storm Boy’ – Mossman Gorge Community Training Room – from 5pm
- Friday 19 July – NAIDOC Street Parade – Front Street, Mossman – 10am
- Friday 19 July – Family Fun Day – George Davis Park, Mossman – 10:30am-2pm – Music, dancers, stalls, BBQ – All Welcome.
Join the conversation
Give a THUMB UP or THUMB DOWN on what we've covered OR place a COMMENT below.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it.
Send news tips to editornewsport.comau
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.