ON THE AGENDA | Water refilling stations for Douglas Shire
DOUGLAS SHIRE COUNCIL
A petition seeking Council to install water refilling stations in Port Douglas will be the key agenda item at Tuesday’s ordinary meeting in Council Chambers.
According to a Council report, the petition asks Council to consider installing water refilling stations in Port Douglas to help reduce the amount of single use plastic water bottles, which in turn will protect the waterways, Great Barrier Reef and the marine creatures, as well as reduce the amount of plastic sent to landfill.
The principal petitioner is Maggie Kelly who has obtained 538 signatures.
The petition has also received support from the following groups:
- Plastic Free Douglas
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Tourism Port Douglas and Daintree
- Douglas Local Marine Advisory Committee
- Douglas Shire Sustainability Group
- Tangaroa Blue
- Reef Clean
It will be recommended that it be referred to the Chief Executive Officer for consideration and investigation.
Douglas Shire Council ordinary meeting
Tuesday, 9 July 2019 10:00am
Table of contents:
1. Application for permanent partial road closure over part of lot 12 n157447 Heritage Lane, Craiglie
2. Various water and wastewater general policies
3. Petition seeking Council to install water refilling stations in Port Douglas
Read the complete agenda on Council's website.
Join the conversation
Give a THUMB UP or THUMB DOWN on what we've covered OR place a COMMENT below.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it.
Send news tips to editornewsport.comau
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.