Sharks survive Atherton and stay top of table
CAIRNS DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE
A narrow and hard-fought 24-20 win over Atherton in this Cairns District Rugby League Round 14 fixture at the Mossman Showgrounds on the weekend has secured Mossman-Port Douglas Sharks’ ascendancy at the top of the log table.
After 14 matches, the Sharks have 20 points from 14 matches with 10 wins and three defeats. They are two points clear of Yarrabah and three ahead of Brothers Innisfail. The Sharks have a bye this weekend.
The win over Atherton was their 10th straight of the season.
“This was a tough one. Atherton turned up to play as they were eager to beat us: the log leaders. We also realise that our next five games will be equally challenging, but we are ready and I am comfortable where we are right now,” said coach Brian Murgha.
Wing Stanley Anau, in his first game back after a lay-off, did not waste any time in displaying his strengths and crossed over for three tries. Manny Gibuma and Gabriel Bonn scored the other tries. Eddie Daniels added two conversions.
The Sharks record over the last five matches is:
• Beat Atherton 24-20
• Beat Southern Suburbs 30-6
• Beat Brothers Innisfail 36-26
• Beat Ivanhoes 60-10
• Beat Brothers Cairns 38-24
After a bye this weekend, their next five opponents are:
• 27 July vs Mareeba (at home)
• 3 August vs Kangaroos (at home)
• 10 August vs Yarrabah (at home)
• 17 August vs Edmonton, Pietersen Park
• 23 August vs Ivanhoes, Smithfield
Join the conversation
Give a THUMB UP or THUMB DOWN on what we've covered OR place a COMMENT below.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it.
Send news tips to editornewsport.comau
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.