Four Mile Beach is free from stinger nets once again

BEACH REPORT

Howard Salkow

Senior Journalist

Email Howard
Like
88%
Dislike
13%
Last updated:


The news that everyone likes to hear at this time of the year is that the stinger nets have been removed and it is now safe to venture into the ocean at Four Mile Beach.


In confirming this today, Rob Davidson, Regional Manager North Queensland Surf Life Saving, said the nets had been removed on Tuesday night due to the rough conditions.

“As we speak, they remain out of the water and there are no plans to return them to the ocean,” he said.
This is the end of the high-risk season after what has been an uneventful and relatively incident-free summer.

“I attribute this to people being more cautious which is positive and they are also risk averse,” he said.

In November last year, Newsport reported that the first possible stinger injury of the season had been recorded at Mossman Hospital

A spokesperson for Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service confirmed a man was treated for a suspected Irukandji sting.

The 36-year-old man was rushed to hospital following reporting to the volunteer life savers on duty after swimming on Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas. He was released the next morning.

Mr Davidson said people can now go back into the ocean and strongly advised they swim between the red and yellow flags.

“I also encourage people, who have any concerns, to speak to the on duty life guards who are extremely knowledgeable and keen to assist where they can,” he said.

Keep an eye on the conditions at Four Mile Beach from anywhere in the word with Newsport's beachcam.


Join the conversation

Give a thumb up or thumb down on the subject we've covered OR

Place a comment below.

* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.