Donation lines open for annual Mayor's Christmas Appeal
The annual Mayor’s Christmas Appeal is officially underway with Douglas Shire Mayor Julia Leu asking businesses and residents to dig deep for those in need.
Mayor Leu hopes to again raise $2,000 to contribute towards Christmas hampers to be distributed throughout the community this festive season.
She said the hampers funded by the appeal helps vulnerable families in the region have a brighter Christmas.
“Through the annual Mayor’s Christmas Appeal we’re able to bring a little bit of relief to those families doing it tough,” she said.
“We have a wonderful community here in the Shire and we’re urging people to give whatever they can to help lighten the burden for a local family this Christmas.”
Council has joined Mossman Support Services, Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre, Goobidi Home Care Services, Goobidi Bamanga Community Advancement Cooperative Society and Christian Mission Fellowship International to assist and launch the appeal.
Donations of $2 or more are Tax Deductible and forms are available at Council’s website, Mossman Administration Office, Port Douglas Hub and the Mossman Library.
Families with children aged 15 years and under, holding a Federal Government benefit card are eligible to apply for a food hamper from Monday, 21 October until Friday, 29 November 2019.
“The Mayor’s Christmas Appeal wouldn’t be possible without the dedicated support of the local community groups that volunteer their time each year to pack and deliver hampers throughout the Shire,” Mayor Leu said.
Where to apply for a Mayor’s Christmas Appeal hamper from Monday 21 October:
- Mossman Support Services - 20 Mill St Mossman Ph: 4098 2005 Weekdays 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
- Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre - 6-10 Mowbray St Port Douglas Ph: 4099 5518 Weekdays 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
- Goobidi Home Care Services - Shop 3 / 1 Front St Mossman Ph: 4098 3030 Monday to Thursday 8.00 am to 5.00 pm and 8.00 am to 3.00 pm Friday
- Goobidi Bamanga CACS - 57 Front St Mossman Ph: 4098 1283 Monday to Thursday 8.00 am to 12pm and 1.00 pm to 5.00pm and 8.00 am to 3.00 pm Friday
- Douglas Shire Council - 64-66 Front St Mossman,13-29 Mowbray St Port Douglas (The Hub) Ph: 4099 9444 Weekdays 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
Join the conversation
Give a THUMB UP or THUMB DOWN on what we've covered OR place a COMMENT below.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it.
Send news tips to editornewsport.comau
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.