VIDEO | Cassowary at FNQ Surf Lifesaving Championships
Cairns Surf Life Saving Club has retained its trophy as the North Queensland Branch Champions taking out the Juniors, Seniors and Masters events last weekend.
Surf life saving clubs from Mission Beach north to Port Douglas gathered at Etty Bay with about 250 competitors from U8 to U15, seniors, and masters competing for the Age Champion title for each age group.
North Queensland Branch President, Rachael Wynberg, said the Branch Carnival celebrated 50 years of Nippers.
“Etty Bay Surf Life Saving Club was founded in 1936 and was the first club in North Queensland to run a Nippers program in 1970 so it is fitting that it was held on this beautiful beach in 2019,” she said.
“Etty Bay hosted Mission Beach, Cairns, Ellis Beach and Port Douglas Surf Life Saving Clubs at the event which included board races, ironperson, beach flags, sprints and ski races.
“A welcome ceremony was attended by some of Etty Bay’s long-standing members, including the Horsford family, who have been involved with the club for four and five generations.
“Day two opened with the traditional march past with each of the clubs each flying their flag led by Etty Bay and the event was won by Ellis Beach.
“The Championships signal the end of the North Queensland surf life saving sports season after an action-packed six months that included two new events for the 2019 calendar, the Kozii Iron Challenge at Ellis Beach and endurance events at the Cairns Carnival.
“The North Queensland Branch Youth State Team to compete at Alexandra Headlands next March in the Queensland Youth Surf Life Saving Championships was announced once the points were tallied.
“The points were very close in many of the age groups demonstrating the quality of the coaching by our qualified volunteer coaches.
“The U13 Female Age Champion title had to be shared by Bailee Zammit, Ruby Colbridge and Maddisen Wilkinson from Cairns Surf Life Saving Club.”
Surf lifesavers weren;t the only ones out enjoying the sun last weekend when a cheeky cassowary joined in the fun.
The Age Champions are:
- U11 Female Rochelle Johnson, Port Douglas
- U11 Male Leathan Hudson, Ellis Beach
- U12 Female Summer Tottman, Cairns
- U12 Male Logan Stevens, Cairns
- U13 Female Bailee Zammit, Ruby Colbridge and Maddisen Wilkinson, Cairns
- U13 Male Kodi Worth, Etty Bay
- U14 Female Lilly Ruth Eveans, Ellis Beach
- U14 Male Arjan Wynberg, Ellis Beach
- U15 Female Trinity White, Cairns
- U15 Male Mitchell Rogers, Ellis Beach
- U17 Female Anastasia Wynberg, Ellis Beach
- U17 Male Jackson Rogers, Cairns
- U19 Female Bayley Stevens, Cairns
- U19 Male Mitchell Knight, Port Douglas
- 30-39 Female Irene Cats, Port Douglas
- 30-39 Male Martin Westcott, Etty Bay
- 40-49 Female Carie Kelliher, Port Douglas
- 40-49 Male Grant Knight, Port Douglas
- 50-59 Female Kelly McNamara, Port Douglas
- 50-59 Male Ed Lukin, Cairns
- 60+ Male Anthony Hannan, Cairns
- Open Female Anastasia Wynberg, Ellis Beach
- Open Male Jackson Rogers, Cairns
- Wayne Porche Memorial Open Ski Champion Mitchell Nissen, Cairns
Join the conversation
Give a THUMB UP or THUMB DOWN on what we've covered OR place a COMMENT below.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it.
Send news tips to editornewsport.comau
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.