Free $60,000 dream Port Douglas wedding up for grabs
The Port Douglas wedding community has joined forces and are throwing magic, romance and even fireworks into the mix with a $60,000 wedding giveaway competition for one lucky couple.
The competition aims to reignite the dream for a loved-up couple whose big day may have been put out of reach by the recent bushfires, drought, floods, or the COVID-19 pandemic.
The prize of a fabulous, free wedding in Port Douglas on 11 August 2021 for up to 50 people has all the bells and whistles including flights for the couple, flowers, ceremony and reception venues, celebrant, cake, transport, accommodation, photos, videography, planning and styling, hair and makeup, catering, entertainment, and fireworks.
Competition organiser and owner of Port Douglas Weddings and Hire, Vicki Kurth, said she had been overwhelmed by the support of the local wedding industry to make it all possible.
“Whether it is the from COVID-19 pandemic, the floods, the fires or ongoing drought, Australian’s are really hurting.
“My team and I were brainstorming ideas of how we could make a difference to someone in need and the idea just grew from there.
“It bought tears to my eyes that everyone we contacted here locally wanted to be a part of it and contribute in some way. I feel so thrilled and privileged to be part of the whole thing,” she said.
Tara Bennett, chief executive officer of Tourism Port Douglas Daintree, said the team at Port Douglas Weddings and Hire had come up with the novel idea to make one couple’s special day an exceptional one.
“More than 30 local businesses are pulling together to provide a wedding valued at more than $60,000 to help a couple affected by all that 2020 has thrown at us, and who may not have otherwise had their dream wedding,” Ms Bennett said.
“We have seen some extraordinary moments of care and community support throughout the world during these difficult times and even though Port Douglas and Daintree businesses are doing it tough, they are also giving back and showing that we care.”
Ms Bennett said couples may nominate themselves or be nominated by someone else via the competition’s website.
“All entrants need do is submit a short video or 150 words on why they deserve to win an unforgettable, wedding in beautiful Port Douglas.
“The competition runs from Sunday, 19 July until Sunday, 16 August. The winning couple will be decided by a panel of five judges and announced on Friday, 28 August.”
The prize includes:
- Ceremony Venue, St Mary’s by the Sea valued at $880
- Reception venue, Rainforest Grotto valued at $2000
- Celebrant, Anna Soltwedel, valued at $750
- Transport provided by Kombis of Cairns, FNQ Bus Lines and Exemplar Coaches and Limousines valued at $2130
- Hair and Makeup supplied by Tropical Beauty & Cairns Makeup Artist Alisha valued at $880
- One (1) night’s accommodation at Sugar Wharf Apartment valued at $300
- Three (3) nights’ accommodation at Sheraton Grand Mirage Port Douglas valued at $3500
- Three (3) nights’ accommodation at Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort and Spa valued at $3871
- Wedding photography for wedding provided by Matthew Evans valued at $3900
- Wedding videography for wedding provided by Jade Films valued at $4500
- Entertainment by Mattyboi valued at $850
- Entertainment by Tony George Entertainment valued at $2970
- Wedding cake provided by Passion for Cakes valued at $500
- Wedding cupcakes provided by Port Douglas Cupcake Café valued at $220
- Wedding flowers by Floral Edge valued at $900
- Reception flowers provided by Flowers by Wynn valued at $900
- Catering provided by Platinum Cuisine valued at $5000
- Canapes provided by Salsa Bar and Grill valued at $2500
- Wedding planning by Dragonfly Weddings & Events valued at $1250
- Wedding styling and beverage package provided by Port Douglas Weddings and Hire valued at $9777
- Fireworks by Xplosive Art valued at $5000
- FNQ Gelato Cart valued at $725
- Giant illuminated lights by Fully Lit valued at $600
- Bar provided by Douglas Vintage Van valued at $1400
- Tepee tent provided by Jypsy D valued at $1500
- Wedding dress by Chanel Jaymes Bridal Boutique to the value of $3000
- Drinks Package provided by Tin Shed valued at $1500
- Flights to the value of $500 provided by Tourism Port Douglas Daintree
- Services provided by Kennards Hire, PDM Pest Control and Zammataro Plumbing valued at $1130.
Submit a letter to the editor here.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure letter legitimacy.
Send news tips and videos here
* Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport, its staff or affiliates. Reader comments on Newsport are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Visit our comment guidelines if your comment has not been approved for publication.