New schooling option set to open its doors in Mossman in 2021
Families in the Douglas Shire will soon have another option for schooling with the Tropical North Steiner School set to open its doors in 2021.
This new independent primary school aims to add to the diversity of the Douglas Shire and will be another drawcard for young families considering leaving their busy city life.
After a couple of years of hard work and a lot of bureaucratic hurdles, Julie Verri, the head and heart behind the new school, can finally see land in sight.
After her presentation at the last Think Tank meeting in December 2019, the project has attracted the support of some community members and the dedicated group has been working in the background ever since.
TNSS was lucky enough to have Jessie Goetze, photographer, and owner of Port Douglas Wedding Photography, shooting a professional promo video showcasing the location (at 78 Foxton Avenue in Mossman) and a variety of typical activities that occur during a school day at a Steiner School.
This will go onto the TNSS Facebook page as well as onto the school’s website shortly.
For the Douglas Shire to see its very own Steiner School developing amidst the COVID-19 pandemic is a strong and positive signal and will certainly add another asset to this region.
“Investing in your child’s education especially in the early years of childhood is an investment in our future,” said Ms Verri, Board Director of Tropical North Steiner School.
For those of you not familiar with Steiner Schools here are some of the main features:
- Independent & non-denominational
- Australian as well as Internationally recognized curriculum
- Focus on a holistic balance of academic, creative, social, & emotional development
- Healthy kitchen garden program
- Development of life skills
- Building confidence
- Fostering a love of life long learning
- Raising well rounded & capable adults
Tropical North Steiner School will start taking enrolments now for children entering Prep to Class 3 in 2021. The school then will naturally grow to eventually include Grade 6.
Steiner Schools in other parts of Australia typically enjoy long wait lists and interested parents should get in touch with Julie Verri through the website www.tropicalnorthsteiner.org sooner rather than later to secure one of the max. 25 available places.
Submit a letter to the editor here.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure letter legitimacy.
Send news tips and videos here
* Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport, its staff or affiliates. Reader comments on Newsport are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Visit our comment guidelines if your comment has not been approved for publication.