Targa rally kicks off, find out which FNQ roads will be closed
TARGA GREAT BARRIER REEF
The third annual Targa Great Barrier Reef race kicked off today and will run over 18 stages in three days in Cairns, the Cassowary Coast, and the Tablelands.
Police warn spectators to make sure they find a safe position to view the race along the various courses and remain COVID safe. Head to the Targa website for more info and locations.
For those headed out around the Far North this weekend be aware of the following road closures.
Day 1 Friday, 4 September
- Green Hill: 8.09am and 12.39pm – between Gray Road and Green Hill Road.
- The Gillies Range and Little Mulgrave: 8.36am and 2.36pm - The Gillies Highway between Appaloosa Street, Little Mulgrave and Boar Pocket Road at Danbulla.
- Lake Eacham: 9.00am and 1.30pm - Wrights Creek Road between the Gillies Highway and Gadgarra Road, Gadgarra Road between Wrights Creek Road and Winfield Road, and Winfield Road between Gadgarra Road and Lakes Drive.
- Lake Morris/Copperlode Dam Road: 11.50am to 5.50pm - Lake Morris/Copperlode Dam Road closed 1 kilometre before Campbells Lookout and Lake Morris.
Day 2, Saturday, 5 September
- Bamboo Creek: 9.10am and 11.50am - Oak Street between Maple Street and Lawrence Road, Lawrence Road between Oak Street and Mundoo Road, Mundoo Road between Lawrence Road and Grima Road, and Grima Road between Mundoo Road and Goroka Close.
- South Johnstone: 9.25am to 12.05pm - Innisfail to Japoon Road closed between Flemings Branch Road and Germantown Road.
- Mena Creek and Silkwood: 9.39am to 2.39pm - Innisfail to Japoon Road closed between Gibson Road and Warrakin Road, the Silkwood to Japoon Road closed between Warrakin Road and Number four branch Road.
- Paronella: 12.13pm to 2.53pm - Japoon to Innisfail Road closed between Germantown Road and Flemings Branch Road.
- Innisfail: 12.28pm to 4.58pm - Grima Road between Goroka Close and Mundoo Road, Mundoo Road between Grima Road and Lawrence Road, Lawrence Road between Mundoo Road and Oak Street, and Oak Street between Lawrence Road and Maple Street.
Day 3, Sunday, 6 September
- Kuranda Range: 6.46am to 11.16am - Kuranda Range Road section of the Kennedy Highway closed.
- Upper Barron: 8.06am to 11.06am - Claringbold Road closed between the Kennedy Highway and East Barron Road, East Barron Road between Claringbold Road and Cook Road, Cook Road between East Barron Road and Stonehouse Road, Stonehouse Road between Cook Road and Mooma Road, and Andrickson Road between Mooma Road and Malanda Atherton Road.
- Malanda: 8.28am to 11.58am - Merragallan Road closed between Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road and Landry Road, and Landry Road between Merragallan Road and Malanda – Millaa Millaa Road.
- Millaa Millaa and Palmerstone: 8.59am to 1.59pm - Old Palmerston Highway closed between Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road and Maalan Road, Maalan Road between both intersections with Old Palmerston Highway, and Old Palmerston Highway between Maalan Road and Kennedy Highway.
- Upper Barron: 12.27pm to 4.57pm - Claringbold Road closed between the Kennedy Highway and East Barron Road, East Barron Road between Claringbold Road and Cook Road, Cook Road between East Barron Road and Stonehouse Road, Stonehouse Road between Cook Road and Mooma Road, and Andrickson Road between Mooma Road and Malanda Atherton Road.
Submit a letter to the editor here.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure letter legitimacy.
Send news tips and videos here
* Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport, its staff or affiliates. Reader comments on Newsport are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Visit our comment guidelines if your comment has not been approved for publication.