Newsport Publishing has adopted the Australian Press Council’s Principles and other Standards of Practice
1. Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure comment legitimacy.
2. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff.
3. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.
1. Accuracy and clarity
Newsport ensures that factual material in news reports and elsewhere is accurate and not misleading, and is distinguishable from other material such as opinion.
Newsport will provide a correction, retraction or other adequate remedial action if published material is significantly inaccurate or misleading.
2. Fairness and balance
Newsport ensures that factual material is presented with reasonable fairness and balance and that writers’ expressions of opinion are not based on significantly inaccurate factual material or omission of key facts.
Newsport ensures that where material may refer adversely to a person, consideration is given for subsequent publication of a reply if that is reasonably necessary to address a possible breach of General Principle 3.
3. Privacy and avoidance of harm
Newsport will avoid intruding on a person’s reasonable expectations of privacy unless doing so is sufficiently in the public interest.
Newsport will avoid causing or contributing materially to substantial offence, distress or prejudice, or a substantial risk to health or safety unless doing so is sufficiently in the public interest.
4. Integrity and transparency
Newsport will avoid publishing material which has been gathered by deceptive or unfair means unless doing so is sufficiently in the public interest.
Newsport will ensure that conflicts of interests are avoided or adequately disclosed and that they do not influence published material.
Newsport also adopts the Australian Press Council’s recent revised Statement of General Principles clarifying:
- the principle that reasonable steps must be taken to ensure that factual material is accurate and not misleading applies to the material of that kind in all types of article;
- the principle of reasonable fairness and balance applies to presentation of facts (including presentation of other people’s opinions) but not to writers’ expressions of their own opinion.
Report Offensive or Abusive Material
Newsport invites readers to report content they find offensive or inconsistent with Newsport Editorial Guidelines by utilising the red 'Report' button at the bottom of article pages or by email to [email protected]